Children and adolescents face many transitions. This can be both disorienting and exciting. Issues of self-identity, independence and decision-making play a major role in healthy development. Children and adolescents are complex. They may be feeling sad, angry or overwhelmed. Many kids need help dealing with school stress, relationships, emotions and family problems. A child and adolescent therapist can help children work through these issues and make better choices in their lives.
The Center for Therapy & Counseling Services offers individual and family therapy. Our specialized child and adolescent therapists provide comprehensive, strength-based therapeutic services to clients. Most insurance plans are accepted.
Some of the challenges that we help children, adolescents and their parents work through include:
- Behavioral Difficulties - Unruly behaviors, fighting at school/home, bullying, excessive anger, not listening to adults or parent/child conflicts, drug use, teenage sex, teen pregnancies, self injurious behaviors, substance abuse, bedwetting, etc.
- Depression - In childhood and adolescence depression can manifest with irritable moods, anger, lack of interest or participation in previously enjoyable activities or withdrawing from friends and family.
- Anxiety - Difficulty leaving parents, excessive worries about the safety of self/others, compulsive behaviors, poor self esteem, indecisiveness or fearfulness.
- Trauma - Being a past victim of abuse or neglect. Witnessing or experiencing violence can cause sadness, overwhelming anxiety and feelings of being unsafe in the world.
- Grief and Loss - Dealing with a chronic illness in self or family member; death of family or friends; divorce/separation of parents or caregivers; military deployment; when a pet dies.
- Relationship Issues - Having difficulty making friends, shyness, hostility, passivity or conflicts with peers.
- Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder - Developmentally inappropriate impulsivity, inattention and in some cases, hyperactivity.
- Autism Spectrum Conditions - Difficulty with social interactions and communication, restricted interests and repetitive behavior